Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Supermarket

Last night I was in the supermarket trying to get some food, as, I suppose, one generally does in supermarkets. I was on my way from the candy section to the juice section (notice how I go from 'stuff that will kill you when you eat it too much' to 'stuff that will only kill your teeth when you drink it too much?) when a woman stepped on the back of my foot.

Obviously this really isn't so dramatic. It happens to all of us occasionally. Also, it wasn't like she wrestled me to the floor, kicked me in the crotch, planted a burning cross in my backpack and called my mother a whore. But, I think I can safely say that we will all agree that in supermarket etiquette stepping on someone is pretty much in the same category as being an active member of the KKK.

And so, when I felt a weird feeling at the end of my leg, I turned around to see what it was. 'It' turned out to be a confused looking girl of about 20, that looked at me in complete distress and then exclaimed: "Yes! It was me! It's not like I did it on purpose!".

She made it sound like I had closed down the store and interviewed every costumer, comparing their footsizes to the grey spot on the bak of my shoe until I finally, after hours of merciless interrogating with light bulbs pointed in peoples faces and threats of abuse of some kind thrown at them, pointed my finger at her and said "It was you! You will pay you evil bitch from hell!". Granted, I considered all of that, but I did not do it!

What was even weirder is that I did not even give the girl my patented 'Oh you are so going to burn in hell' -look. All I did was look surprised and after that I had already started my 'Oh I know you didn't do it on purpose, but thank you for apologizing, God bless ya' smile when I realized.

She.
Did.
Not.
Apologize.

All she did was acknowledge it was her. It's not like I expected her to fall on her knees, kiss my betrap-ped feet and beg for forgiveness (would I have liked it? Sure) but a simple 'sorry' would have been nice.

I guess I could have hated her, but she looked so weird and out of touch (black hair, black make-up, look in her eyes as if someone was going to punch her if she brought home the wrong cereals) that she just confused me.

No comments: