Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

I want to see Brokeback Mountain. That in itself should not be a problem since I live in a big city with many movie theatres where no fanatical Christian, Jewish or Muslim theocracy has taken over city government (yet). Unfortunately I am one of those people who feels that unlike sex, most things are more fun with somebody else aside from yourself along for the ride*.

And there's the problem.

Most of my female friends (or at least those in touch with their inner fag hag) also want to see the movie but unfortunately my female friends are poor. Not begging on the streets in rags poor, but in a month where Hollywood decided to poor out all the good movies here in Amsterdam (aside from Brokeback Mountain there's Munich, Walk the Line, The Aristocrats, Good Night and Good Luck, Bambi 2) I can't be a 100% sure of female Brokeback support.

My straight male friends on the other hand have no intention of seeing this movie. The main reason for this, obviously, are the sex scenes. And this, obviously, is bullshit: the average gay man or woman sees much more guy on girl action throughout his or her life than a straight person sees gay action. Also, this is Hollywood gay action so I'd be surprised if there's more to see than perhaps one shirtless guy. So, basically just stop being a frigging child, shut up and watch.

But then I got thinking. What if next year a movie comes out about lesbian rodeo riders. Would I go and see it? I honestly don't know. I'm pretty sure my straight friends would be camping in front of cinemas throughout the cities months in advance, because, let's face it, girl on girl action AND horses are basically what former teenage boys' dreams are made off (especially the horses... sickos).

I, on the other hand, though I have nothing but positive vibes for Lesbians all over the world and especially those who can keep themselves standing in the, no-doubt, male dominated world of rodeo riding, am not quite sure it would be my movie. Does that make me a biggot? Perhaps if I followed the "The L World" or had gone to see "The Hours" I could have talked my way out of it, but I have seen neither.

Even if all this doesn't make me an anti-Lesbian (it is an actual word, trust me), it certainly does make me a hypocrite if I were to bitch slap my straight male posse (I have one, trust me) for failing to show interest in, what I hear from my gay posse (I have a small one) who have actually seen it, a very impressive movie.

* This obviously is a joke...... really it is#.
# I will be so dissapointed if there's no "Bareback Mountain" for sale in certain not to be named video stores of certain material that we will not go into with too much detail here... and yet again, I will be so much more dissapointed when there is one.

2 comments:

Cybbis said...

I usually go to movies alone these days because seems that every movie I've seen with any of my multitude of friends has ended with a following discussion:
Me: So how did you like the movie?
"Friend": Nah, it wasn't that good. Couple of scenes were ok.
Me: Oh, I liked it a lot. Top movie.
"Friend": (silence)
Me (in my mind): ignorant a**h**e.

Somtimes it goes vice versa of course.

spirito said...

I dunno bro but vica versa sounds more you lately. Although you did like that confusing men play so I shan't go on.

Oh and kudos for not reacting to the actual point made in this blog :)