Thursday, April 13, 2006

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

My before mentioned friend who recently moved to a student building in the Northern part of Amsterdam (see below) has been complaining that ever since he moved in, he's hardly met any of the other people living in his hallway. This also means that he has had no problems with loud music or an overcrowded kitchen but he likes to have people around him a lot.

You guessed well, he's not from Amsterdam.

A chance to really get to know his fellow hall-mates came this week when a meeting was organized to discuss who should clean the kitchen and what should be done about the recent discovery of bugs living there (ladies, my friend's single and there's cochroaches in his kitchen! e-mail address available on request). When he arrived at the meeting it turned out that only four other people (of 14 people living in the same hallway in total) had showed up. Seven people were just not home, and two people were in, but refused to leave their rooms.

Right.

As said the meetings main focus was the state of the kitchen, but one of the guys present managed to change the subject pretty quickly to how he used to have an XTC addiction. He had been clean for more than a year now, he told them, but was considering picking it up again. Personally, that would have been the moment for me to wonder if he had been the only one who had seen the bugs. Another guy present threw in his drugs story, explaining that whenever he smoked pot he had to throw up. Thankfully I do not believe he actually demonstrated it, but I think we can safely assume that can't be more than two weeks away.

The conclusion of the meeting was that everybody was going to cook together the next day as some kind of team building. I told my friend he should probably stay away from drinks arranged by the XTC guy. You know. Just in case.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town (yeah, for the movie version of this blog I'm getting Sarah Jessica Parker to do the voice over) a new person moved into the appartment above mine. That in itself is not that surprising, that place has been illegally subrented since I moved in and every three months new people (usually non-Dutch women) take over the place. This one, however, has the most disgusting taste in music.

Trance.

*shiver*

Now, I understand people liking music. Obviously. I also understand people liking music that is not specifically meant to be listened to as much as to be felt. Barely. I even understand people liking music I hate. Sort of. And I understand why people go to clubs, listen to insanely loud music and have their ears ruined...

OK, I don't get that, but it doesn't bother me, so: go in peace and use condoms.

What I don't understand is why Satan's Little Helper upstairs has to play this crap from 8 in the morning until 9 at night (when she leaves the house for what, I can only assume, must be some quiet time) at a volume level that would make Pete Townshend frown.

Conclusion: you can buy up a big house in the middle of nowhere, put all your friends there and make the house rules that include paragrahs on kitchen cleaning, cocroach killing and music (both style and volume) or else you're fucked.

5 comments:

Queen Mushroom said...

living with friends = not a good idea. the only solution is to become rich, buy your own place in the middle of nowhere and rejoice.

spirito said...

yeeeesss but then you're alone in the middle of nowhere, so thats no good either. focus woman!

Queen Mushroom said...

books, cd's, dvd's, tv, radio, magazines, dateahotscot.com, and some pictures of johnny depp. Who needs friends? ;)

spirito said...

"Look children! There on that mountain lives that mean old lonely lady who believes virtual scots are better than friends!"

Which reminds me, my (ok fine, our sigh) Scot is still nr. 11! Where's the logic? Where's the justice?

Cybbis said...

Damn I miss the student years in a dorm --- wait no I don't. It was hell.
Let your friend's hallmates pick up sorting their biowaste and general trash... that's where the fun will begin. After an army of banana flies takes over the building, it will be a very interesting experience, because banana flies JUST DON'T DIE and if they do they have alredy given birth to thousands more. How do I know this? Well I had a dorm mate that started sorting his trashes. Problem was, he never emptied the biowaste can.
So I am with QM on this one. Own house + middle of nowehere = bliss. In theory. I just need an internet connection and electricity, running water and sewage system. But when I am rich my minions will handle that.