Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Traveling Band

I'm about to embark on an epic journey. Which, in normal people's language, comes down to me going to Bologna for a week and a half. This means that (1) I'm going to be sweating my ass off for 11 days, (2) that I will be majorly dissapointed - yet again - in the quality of Italian record stores specifically due to the lack of Zucchero-stuff-I-don't-already-own they won't have in stock and (3) I won't be blogging in that period (it also means I can work up new frustrations with traveling, planes, trains, politics - not really related but it just happens - and Italian guys, to write about later).

And it means that before leave monday I need to go through both my To Pack and my To Do list. The To Do list includes everything that has to be done for the world not to go to damnation (obviously with 'the world' I mean my life specifically, if I'd care for the world I'd recycle) in the time I will not be in the country. This list contains such timeless classics as "buy shoes", "buy clothes", "e-mail professor" and "find place to live in Zeeland" and, perhaps excluding the last one, should be no problem.

The To Pack list is a lot more important. It is important because it needs to be done right or else I'll spent the first four days of my vacation thinking "I know I forgot to pack something!" the fifth day finally realizing which item I've forgotten and the last six days thinking "Why the hell did I forget [insert item]???". Even if it is a totally meaningless thing, I'd still be left feeling the trip would have been so much memorable if I hadn't forgotten my toothbrush.

Granted, things have gotten easier throughout the years. In 2001, when I went on a vacation with friends for the first time we spent weeks e-mailing eachother on who should bring which CD, and once in Italy we spent days looking for a boombox (we found one that was extremly expensive and utter crap). Thankfully, I now have a (also pretty crappy) Mp3 player to help me through that, but unfortunately it runs on batteries. (Ooh! I have to bring batteries with me!)

Books remain a hazzard however as are remembering to bring my mobile phone, the thing that puts power into my mobile phone (which reminds me the position of being my human dictionary is still open, everybody that looks like Orlando Bloom is welcome to apply), my toothpaste, my shampoo, shower gel, flight information, telephone numbers, cash etc.

Anyway, the big "What Will Boris Forget?" game is open from now on, good luck on betting.

7 comments:

Queen Mushroom said...

It's called a mobile phone charger. (sorry, couldn't find Orlando Bloom)
Don't forget your toothbrush!!
And... have fun!

Cybbis said...

DAMN I am so jealous! Couple of weeks in Italy is an offer I could-a never-a refus-a. Too bad nobody's offering.

Anyway. Remember your camera.
And passport, plane tickets, anti jellyfish sting cream, playing cards (preferably Phase Ten), cap, sun lotion, home keys, money, towel, swimming trunks, guide books and ma*s .

Queen Mushroom said...

I always forget to bring pajamas. But I dont know whether you wear them so feel free to forget them if you don't.

Cybbis said...

If three in my list will fit vertically, horizontally or diagonally while 'BINGO' is yelled, I want my prize. Whatever that might be.

spirito said...

Queen; taking the risk of overflowing our relationship with mental images neither of us really like; I generally sleep in my boxers and a t shirt.

Cyb: from now on you're only allowed to watch 20 min of BBC childrens TV a day! Oh and Merel (Amsterdam) says hi!

Cybbis said...

Well, spill it! What was it this year? Did I get a bingo? Did I win a pack of coffee?

Oh and say 'hi' back.

spirito said...

sorry buddy, no luck; took everything I needed (I could have done with some more clothes but they didn't fit in my suitcase so thats not forgetting). I even thought I had forgotten my trunks, but then did not.