Monday, June 06, 2005

Hmm… odd.

Things are going pretty good lately.

Actually, suspiciously good. It’s not that my life normally is just one sad mix of depressing failures and bad luck (quite to the contrary actually). It’s just that I don’t really trust it when there’s too many good things happening in a row. I’m not a big believer in karma, but when things are going my way too much I suddenly do. In those situations, I’m always afraid I owe something to bad karma and it’ll want to be repaid by setting fire to my house (which brings us back to another issue, but you can check that out in an earlier post… did I ever tell you, you have lovely eyes?).

Ok, you seem a bit confused (you look really nice today by the way, did you lose weight?) so let me give you a few examples.

First of all, a few weeks back, my application for entry in the research history master at the University of Amsterdam was approved. Which is a huge deal, because it means I can study an additional year. Now, I understand most of you are yawning at the thought of spending another year studying history (I know that because I can look at you through your computer screen, love your hair that way!). For me, however, it’s another step to LifePlan A, do something intellectual at a university, and a step away from SadLifePlan A, which is teach history at Michael Bolton High until I feel like shooting myself (or until a student does that for me). So: good.

Second: I recently had my 21st birthday. Now, birthdays and I have a bit of a hate-despise relationship. But this years birthday depression has been surprisingly mild. Last year this time, I was spending a week looking in the mirror, wondering where my youth had gone (sigh, yes, I know, it comes with the drama queen territory) and being convinced that nothing would ever work out in life. This year, I only did that for a day or two. And I got loads of cool gifts. Like books and stuff. Also I can now gamble and drink in every U.S. state. So, goodie!

Third: I got a call Saturday that I got this part-time job I applied for. It’s not an extremely exciting job. It’s also not that glamorous. Or fun. But it’s a job and it pays. Not real good, but still something is better than nothing. Plus, the people working there seem like nice fun people. A bit too excited about their profession maybe, but still nice. So: money for my vacation. Plus it’s nice to know that at least some people agree with me that speaking clear and slow is an overrated virtue (again, see earlier post. Did you pick that keyboard out yourself? Love your taste!).

Which brings me to point four: my vacation is coming up. Ok, it’s still six weeks away, but that’s a whole lot less than the ten weeks it was four weeks ago (yeah I know, I’m a math wiz and a psychological genius!). Which means that in no time I’ll be in Italy. Which means, well, I will be in Italy. Which is not just good (or goodie) but FUCKING good.

Add that all up, and things are going way too good. As a matter of fact, the only thing I’m really missing is the Blackadder DVD box and someone to keep me from thinking Bruce Springsteen’s Human Touch is my theme song.

So, basically I’m doing what Wilie E. Coyote would do, if he eventually would catch The Roadrunner: I’m looking at the sky waiting for the grand piano to fall on my head

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an exam in 2.5 hours. I am not happy. But will be online afterwards (5 pm for you) to whine to you about it. Have to go buy pens now cos I forgot to bring any black or blue ones that work. Disorganised, me???
AAAAAHHHH hate exams!!!!! Byebye
(glad you're happy, anyways, means I do not have to worry about that as well)

spirito said...

so, 3 left now right?

Anonymous said...

yes my next one is friday and TWO on saturday!!!! THE NERVE

spirito said...

BA-STARDS!

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Just got a 70!!!!! for my USWC essay!!!!!! It's my FIRST first mark!!!!!!! Ladiedaaaaa, life is good!!! No bad comments on the essay except on structure, ladiedaaaaaaa!!!! Am listening to Dave Sedaris as I am writing this.
Byebye!!!!!!

spirito said...

WOO-HOO!