Friday, May 20, 2005

Grumble

How are you supposed to reply to an e-mail telling you you're not getting the job you really wanted?

Lemme explain: last friday I had a job interview for a part-time job that I could keep myself busy with while studying. Although the job itself (selling theatre tickets over the phone) seemed more boring than having to watch a "Little House on the Prairie" marathon (... again), they payed pretty good and part of the deal was that you were allowed to buy tickets for yourself for about 200 bucks every three months for free (which is almost as erotic as an Ipod, see old post way back in March).

Although I thought the job interview went well I got an e-mail on wednesday saying that although they liked me as a person and they really enjoyed the conversation (oh bullocks) they decided not to give me the job because, and I quote, "I talked too fast and too unclear". Which apparently is a problem when you have to talk on the phone all day (yeah, the logic totally escapes me too).

This of course struck a chord. First of all; Idon'ttalkfastatall (and certnly nt nclr)! And second (and I know this is a very Seinfield-esque question) : isn't telling someone he didn't get the job he really really wanted a little like dumping him? And isn't it an unwritten rule you don't dump someone through e-mail? I mean, for crying out loud, at least have the guts to call. As a matter of fact the lady in charge of the interviewing proces (a lady I actually liked during the interview but am now allowed to feel is Satan's part-time whore) could have underlined her point by faking she couldn't understand me over the phone: "Who am I talking to? Are you in a tunnel or something?".

Anyhoo, all of this brings me to the question: how do I respond now? So far I've been able to come up with a few options, but I'm not quite sure which one to go with:

Option 1: ignore her e-mail completely. This will make her wonder if I ever had the e-mail and if I will not end up calling her or even worse just show up in her office saying "Hi, I'm ready to start, where's my work place?" (not that she'd understand a word I'd say of course, but my presence and mumbling would scare her to death). Yes, yes that would teach her!

Option 2: play the guilt card. Write her something like "sure pick on the guy with the hearing problem, does that make you feel powerful? hmmm? am I nothing but a toy to you?". Usually it works on women, but on Satan's bi-atch... I don't know (or as I would apparently say it "Idnno").

Option 3: the arrogance card. Simply mail her back "Ah well, your loss!". That, or I could stand outside her office building and sing Ben Folds Five's "Song for the dumped" or "One angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces". Which isn't really arrogance at all, just angry. And actuallyy I think I'll save that last song for my high school reunion.

And finally the last option: threaten to set her house on fire.... Rethinking that one, option 4 might not be that smart an idea after all because (1) I don't know where she lives and (2) she does know where I live, which would probably mean that even the Amsterdam police should be able to find me (... maybe).

Or I could just be the grown-up and, to quote the Jordanian royal family, "soldier on".... or as I would apparently pronounce that: Hmmmwhmmmhwmmw.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey. I feel crap too. Wanna feel crap together and moan about the world in general? I do. It is really nice and sunny outside which is BAD cos it should be raining and cold to suit my mood. One good thing: my george foreman grill finally arrived yesterday!! woohoo. Have already grilled two meals on it. moohaha. But then I got bad news today (also by email, is it going around?) and now I feel crap. See ya in June.

Beckers said...

Hey there Boris!

Just got in from COSTA RICA! I gotta chat with you sometime about it! Let me know when you are available within the next few days...errr...how about this week. I have class for 12 hours tomorrow working on our projects and stuff we started while in CR and also some presentations to get done for Sunday. Lemme know when you might happen to appear online!

Can't wait to talk to you!!

(oh yeah, i would probably ignore the email and stop in and ask if they had come to a decision. That way you have a chance to redeem yourself (by talking slowly and clearly of course) and you won't look dumb becuase maybe you don't check your email often!!) Seriously, consider trying it. They may have not found someone else so you might have a chance!)

xoxo

spirito said...

Merel: I would like to feel crap together but I'm not on MSN untill monday (Grumble Part 2 - the sequal nobody wants to see), so keep the crappy mood untill monday and we'll virtually bitchslap the world together!

Becky: neah, they had a bunch of people applying for the job, plus I'm already applying for a couple of new ones (and seeing her might interfere with me hating her so much right now :D). Oh and I'm online on monday afternoon and probably on wednesday, can't wait to hear everything about Costa Rica!!!

Anonymous said...

So if your speech is unclear, what does that make my speech? Uncomprehensible maybe. I think I need a personal translator from now on.
To tell you the truth, mumbling's a pretty good tool especially in the Italian class. The teacher is never sure what I just said so she just nods and gives the right answer.
Hmm. You should probably email the woman and bring up the point that you'd be perfect for their legal department's phone service.
Oh and if you ever move to Southern Sweden, you'll fit right in. They talk like they have a hot potato stuck in their mouths.

spirito said...

hmmm, it's funny how nobody so far has said: That's BS! Boris doesn't talk weird and fast at all! :D

and Jari: I feel your pain. I could probably indeed get away with it at their legal department: "So you want a refund, sure! just hmmmwhmmhwmmwhmmnhmmmwmwmw! Have a nice day!"

spirito said...

[Now looking for matches, gasoline and his Richard Nixon mask]

Anonymous said...

don't worry, boris, i know someone who mumbles way more than you and i can never hear what he says. Then, when you say you didnt catch it cos he was mumbling,he gets annoyed. Tsssss. Childish

spirito said...

WHA?